Life can be busy, hard, complicated, wonderful, fun, rewarding, stressful, exciting, and predictable… all at the same time! This reality can leave us feeling downright overwhelmed. I don’t know about you, but feeling overwhelmed is NOT on my list of favorite things.
When I feel overwhelmed, I tend to focus on my roles and responsibilities. I have to go here, and I have to do that! My never-ending “to do” list becomes both my enemy and my friend. As I focus on my list, I try to conquer it all in my strength, with my resources, and based on my experiences. Unfortunately, this “solution” only compounds my feelings of being overwhelmed because it makes me believe I must have all the answers and provide all the things. I instantly look at myself and see all the ways I don’t measure up to the standard I set for myself or believe others set for me.
Recently I was overwhelmed and instead of letting my mind wander down that path, I stopped and prayed. I asked God to change my focus. Suddenly, I realized that sometimes it is good to be overwhelmed, especially when we are overwhelmed by the presence and provision of God. Instead of focusing on my “to do” list. I made a different type of list. I opened my Bible and wrote down ten truths that overwhelm me about God. I would love to share my list with you!
10 Overwhelming Truths from the Bible
1. God is love and He loves me! (1 John 4:7-10)
2. God has a good plan for my life! I don’t have to try and make things “work” in my own strength. (Jeremiah 29:11, Romans 12:2)
3. God is bigger than my sin: past, present, and future! (Psalm 65:3)
4. God is willing and able to forgive me, and He provides a fresh start each day! (Lamentations 3:22-23 and 1 John 1:9)
5. God sent Jesus to die on the cross to provide eternal life for me! Hello, this world is not my home! (Romans 5:8, Romans 6:23, Romans 10:9)
6. God is willing and able to lead my life! I can trust Him. (Exodus 15:13, Jeremiah 33:2-3)
7. God will never leave me or forsake me! (Hebrews 13:5-6, Philippians 4:5)
8. God gave me the Bible so I can know how to live! (Psalm 119, Romans 15:4)
9. God empowers me through the work of the Holy Spirit. His power makes me able to fulfill God’s plan! (Romans 15:13)
10. God offers life to me that is full of purpose and meaning. I am more than a conqueror in Jesus Christ! (John 10:10, Romans 8:31-37)
I have studied this list many times since that overwhelming day. Each time I do, I remember the beauty of being overwhelmed by the power, presence, and provision of God. The next time you are feeling overwhelmed, I encourage you to stop and pray. Make a list of all the truths you find in the Bible that overwhelm you in the right way! The outcome? Instead of allowing yourself to be overwhelmed by your circumstances, you will invite God to overwhelm you with His presence and provision. Now, that is something I want to put on my “to do” list!